Saturday, October 14, 2006

My Biggest Pet Peeve

Okay, so far I haven't generally used my blog for venting, but today is going to be the exception. We just got back from the KU/OSU game, and as you may know, the outcome was not good. We were ahead 17-0 at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, and somehow we managed to give up 42 points in the second half. Our defense did not play well, to say the least. Oklahoma State had one receiver who caught for 300 yards and had 4 TDs. Enough said, really. I'm depressed. The point is, even when I'm terribly sad and/or frustrated that my Jayhawks aren't playing well, I never scream and yell at the players and coaches during the game.

Negativity is probably my biggest pet peeve in the world. I don't generally enjoy even being around "glass half empty" kind of people. I find them annoying and depressing. So, you can imagine my dismay when it seems like every game we go to, we end up sitting right near that guy--you know the one. The guy who never cheers and claps when the team does something good, but always has a comment when something goes wrong. The guy yelling "What the ___ are you doing, Mangino?" when they go for the field goal and not a touchdown on 4th and 2. The guy screaming "Come on!" Gob Bluth style (imagine the tone being "come on you idiots" as opposed to "come on jayhawks"). The guy who--in all seriousness, this happened today--stomped on the bleachers behind us in anger when Kerry Meier threw an interception late in the game. I mean seriously, is that necessary? Is that constructive at all? Is there any possible way that screaming angrily at the team is going to make them play better? I mean really?

For more lovely examples of what type of attitude I'm referring to, check out the article in the Lawrence Journal-World about the game. Not the article itself actually, but the comments beneath the story left by the readers, who have nothing better to do with their time that to criticize people. It irritates me more than I can tell you! For all of my friends out there, if you ever hear me yell negative comments at a game--football, basketball, softball or whatever--you have my personal permission to punch me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having worked at OSU I will have to tell you what an international student told me once about some of the professor's. "They are rednecks with ties." That just filters down the pyramid. =)

kjl said...

But these are KU's own fans yelling negative things at their own team! I wouldn't have been so irritated if it was our opponents!