Friday, August 17, 2007

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

We arrived at the Columbus airport this morning at about 1 a.m. after a fairly uneventful flight on the newest airline in the air. The worst part about the trip had nothing to do with Skybus at all, but was due to our poorly timed arrival at KCI. We gave ourselves an hour to get there and thought we'd need another 30 or so minutes to get from long-term parking to the terminal. It took us less than an hour to get to the parking lot and only another 15 minutes or so to catch a bus to the terminal, and since the airport was pratically deserted at 8:45 at night, it took us all of 2 minutes to check our one bag (we'd done online check-in at home before we left). We ended up being ready to take off over an hour before our gate even opened. This wouldn't have been a big deal in a normal airport, but at KCI, there was NOTHING open. Not a newsstand, not a gift shop, not a snack bar, not a vending machine...I mean nothing except a sports bar that ended up closing at 9:00. It was a ghost town. We walked up and down the deserted terminal for 30 or so minutes and sat and played on our electronic devices for another 30 minutes before going through security, where I had to throw away some hand lotion and hand sanitizer because I didn't have a plastic baggie to put them in (apparently liquids are "safer" if they are enclosed in a thin piece of plastic...go figure). After another 30 minutes or so we finally started boarding, and a mere hour and a half later, we were landing in Ohio. The flight attendants all look as though they were just out of college (and were wearing rather unprofessional-looking black t-shirts), but other than that it was a fairly normal flight.

About 30 minutes after we arrived, Eric's flight from Burbank came in, and after picking up our baggage and hitting a nearby McDonald's for my starving husband and brother, we headed back to Athens, where we arrived at about 3:30 a.m. Needless to say, we slept in until almost 11 this morning. My brother, however, who was still on L.A. time, didn't roll out of bed until Chad woke him at 2 p.m.

The weather is MUCH nicer here than in Lawrence, so even though we didn't head out until almost noon, Dad joined me for a 3 mile training walk before we enjoyed some tasty quiche that Dad's wife Mim made earlier in the morning. The day has otherwise been extremely relaxing, with the most entertaining portion of my day so far being the hour or so I spent taking picures with the "Photo Booth" of my dad's new MacBook Pro. I was laughing so hard I was crying. Here are just a few of my favorites I had to share:



Dad and I just getting started




Let the distortions begin...Chad gets in on the action




Dad and I are cartoons!




Now we've been drawn by pencils!




Man, I have some pretty big hair these days!




My Jay Leno impression




I'm a muppet!! This is the picture that started my hysterical laughing.




Dad and I are becoming one!




Now I'm a Simpsons character!




I can see into the future with that eyeball




What I imagine I would look like as an alien.


There were so many others, but I won't bore you with every single one. I hope enjoyed my distortedness as much as I did!! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you continue blogging even from afar! :) I realize Ohio probably doesn't count as "afar" but anyway... The pictures were priceless, but what resonated with me was your experience at KCI. After last Thursday night/Friday morning when I was there to pick up Jake, I concluded that KCI is not a real airport, but instead a fake one. Now, I appreciate the "fakeness" very much when it comes to things like check-in and baggage claim because generally both are very speedy, but when you're wanting something to eat (or in my case last week, something to read), KCI after 8pm is utterly useless.

Anyway, I'm glad you're having a good time and that the weather is nicer in OH. I'm sorry to say nothing has changed in Larryville. Still miserably hot and humid! Have fun and see you soon!

James said...

We love the iPhoto Booth! Such fun!