Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Tummy Troubles

Thankfully, it seems Fresco is feeling a little better today. Although he did vomit a couple more times during the night, this morning he felt well enough take our two mile walk, so I determined he probably wasn't in desperate need of emergency care. He refused breakfast, but then had a small biscuit when it was time for me to leave for work. When I came home for lunch, I was happy to find that he hadn't thrown up anymore, and he even took a bite of his leftover breakfast. I called the vet's office to discuss his situation, and the vet tech made me feel a little better when she said she doubted a small corner of his blanket could have caused an obstruction. I decided to wait and see how the rest of the day went before taking him in.

When Chad arrived home this evening, although Fresco had thrown up some grass that he'd eaten at lunch in his kennel, I was very happy to hear Chad's report that some of that grass made it through as well, if you know what I mean! ;) I think that's pretty good evidence that his intestines aren't complete obstructed, at least!! Yeah! Chad said he even ran around the yard with Hope a little like he was almost ready to wrestle again!

The bad news is that he's still refusing to eat. We even cooked him some white rice, since vets often recommend that as the first food for dogs after a stomach problem. The rice unfortunately didn't interest him at all, and his stomach is still so upset (or just empty) I can actually hear it gurgling from four feet away. Poor little guy! If he doesn't eat breakfast in the morning, I'm most definitely taking him into the vet ASAP. This skinny little guy can't afford to go too many more days without some nourishment!

You can just tell by his sad picture that he feels super crummy. And yes, he is on our bed. We weren't planning to be such pushovers, but after he got sick this week we just couldn't resist. Those sweet hound dog eyes were pleading with us to let him stay up there with his foster siblings. Somehow he just seems calmer and in less distress when he's snuggled on the bed, so I guess as long as we're not trying to sleep there, that's where he'll be!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hope Fresco feels better soon!!