Monday, August 27, 2007

The Best Husband Ever

I don't mean to brag about my husband, but I just have to brag about my husband. He had to go out of town for the night, but he did about the nicest thing ever for me this morning. It probably wouldn't sound like the biggest deal if you didn't know the whole story, so here's the whole story.

Since we were on vacation last weekend, we purposefully didn't go to the grocery before we left, because we didn't want any food to go bad while we were gone. We got back in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, and then our subsequent evenings went softball/baby shower/Journey Group, so even though we had very little food in the house, there wasn't really time for grocery shopping on those nights. We sustained ourselves on zone bars and a few random frozen items in the freezer, and then thought we'd finally make it to the store on Friday evening. Instead, we decided to order pizza and watch a movie on Friday, which we thought would be a better Friday date than going to the grocery store.

So Saturday morning, I got up at 5:30 and walked 10 miles with my friend Amber, while Chad went off on a golf outing with some friends of his from high school. After Amber and I returned, I took a quick shower, and then took Fresco to a shelter event for a couple of hours so that he could get some exposure to potential families. After dropping him off at home and snarfing down some leftover pizza, I went back to the shelter for 3 hours to take pictures of the new adoptable dogs. I headed home for another shower, fed the dogs, ate more cold pizza, and started uploading all the pictures I'd taken earlier in the day. I was pretty pooped from all the activity, so I really spent most of the evening laying in bed with the laptop, uploading dog pictures and watching a movie, while Chad spent the night in K.C. with his buddies.

Sunday morning I got up at 6 and started out on another walk. The three dogs and I went about 3.5 miles, and then Hope and Celtic came home and Fresco and I were off for another 3.5 mile loop. I came home and got all ready for church, but then Chad showed up right as I was leaving, and since I missed him so much I decided to skip church entirely, so I didn't have to leave him again. We went to Jack's for an early lunch, and then I headed back to the shelter while all the guys in his fantasy football league met him there for their fantasy NFL draft (nerds). :) I left the shelter after a couple of hours to meet a potential Fresco adopter at our house at 4, and then immediately showered and got ready for our softball double header at 6. After two sweaty softball games, we headed home, where Chad ate his leftover pizza for dinner, and I ate all of his crusts, since there was really not much in the house to eat. I spent the rest of the evening working on the dogs pictures I'd taken earlier in the day.

All of this back story is probably very unnecessary, but it just didn't seem sufficient to say that we had a busy weekend. It seems ludicrous to say that we didn't have time to go to the store, but it really felt that way with all that was going on!

So this morning I got up at 5:30 to take the dogs for an extra long walk. I had a double header again tonight, and since Chad had a meeting in Wichita and wouldn't be here this evening, I knew that Fresco would have to be kenneled while I was softball after being kenneled all day, so I wanted him to have plenty of exercise. Chad left the house just a few minutes ahead of me, and then after I'd been at work about an hour I got a phone call, but the caller ID said it was from our house, which confused me because Chad was supposed to be at work. My dear little hubby was calling to tell me that he'd taken off work this morning to go to the grocery store, since he knew I wouldn't have time to go in between work and my game tonight, and he was worried that I hadn't been eating well the last several days. He knows that I'm such a non-picky eater that I could basically survive for days on peanut butter and pickle sandwiches (I seriously eat those, by the way), but he couldn't stand to see me do it! I thought it was so sweet!

I got home for lunch today and had all kinds of things to choose from: yogurt, my favorite fruits, cereal, deli meat, cheese and crackers--it was awesome!!! I had a great turkey sandwich thanks to my dear husband! I know I'm biased, but I think he's the best! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Chad! And Kim, what a nice shout out to your husband! It's obvious to anyone who knows you how much you care about each other.

Erin said...

Ahhhh, little Chaddie Luce from high school has grown up to be such a thoughtful guy! I have to say that was extremely sweet of him. And no one in their right mind should be eating peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.