Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Square Watermelons

Someone sent me these pictures the other day, and I thought they were quite fascinating! Upon Googling the subject, I found that the story about these odd fruits is actually six years old, so I'm a little behind the times, apparently! To find out more info, you can check out one of the stories I found about how these watermelons came to be square, but the gist is that Japanese farmers decided to put them in little glass boxes while they were growing. Apparently this was necessary because Japanese refrigerator space is very scarce, and these little beauties have been made the perfect size for a standard fridge in Japan. The only problem is that they cost about 3 times as much as a normal watermelon in that country--about 83 U.S. dollars! I love watermelon and I think theses are pretty cool, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pay triple the price for one of these babies! :)



No comments: