Thursday, October 04, 2007

Let's Put a Little Light on the Subject

The title of this post kind of makes me laugh--it's something that my mom used to say when I was a kid. I'm not even sure what it was in reference to, but it seems like she used it frequently--probably in response to the many times she turned on a light for me while I sat reading in a poorly lit space. That's really besides the point though--this post really has nothing to do with phrases uttered by my mother.

It does, however, have to do with light--specifically the new light fixture Chad put up this week in our foyer! In the last couple of years we've been on the lookout for a entryway fixture that we really liked, but we just never saw anything that fit our tastes and the decor of our house. Granted, we shop at places like Lowe's and Home Depot, so the selection was not as good as if we'd gone to an actual lighting store, but all we found were ridiculously ornate chandeliers similar to this that just did not appeal to us at all. We have such simple tastes, and we could never seem to find anything that was quite simple enough for us!

So last weekend we went to Home Depot to pick up some new fence posts, and while Chad was in the lumber section I wandered into the lighting aisle, since we're also in the market for some new ceiling fans. That's when I saw this fixture that was perfect for our entryway!


I wish I could explain to you how awful the previous light was. I could kick myself for not remembering to take a "before" picture. It was a little bit like this brass and glass beauty, but without the pointed top and bottom and without as many lights. Just looking at it made me throw up in my mouth a little. Okay, just kidding, but I am super glad that it's gone! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This new fixture looks greats and complements the (new-ish) fan in the living room! I must say though that your post made me think of the SNL skit with Scarlett Johansson where she's selling chandeliers (and marble columns in a subsequent appearance). Jake and I quote it all the time, particularly since there is a remote chance we could end up moving to Jersey!

Beth said...

Kim - I love the light fixutre! Kudos for putting it up yourself!

Amber - Don't even JOKE about moving to Jersey! That is too far away!

Anonymous said...

I think the statement may have started with your dad telling me to "put a little light on the subject"
because, honestly, I often sit in practically dark when reading until the "head"light goes on and I realize it. Cliff reminds me, too. Mmmmm. Amazing how the genes effect behavior. =)mom

Amber, New "Joisey" is very, very crowded. Lived there for a year or so. But the ocean is nice.