Sunday, October 07, 2007

Joyous Jayhawks

There are so many things that went on over the weekend that I want to blog about (future posts: soreness and sunburn, supermen and squirrels), but definitely the most exciting was the KU/K-State game on Saturday! How about those 5-0 Jayhawks!!!!

I wasn't really worried about this game until the Wildcats beat Texas last Saturday, and after that I was super nervous all week! I honestly wasn't sure what would happen when we played a decent opponent since all of our pre-season games were blowouts. We started a little shaky with an interception on the first play of the game, but the 'Hawks hung in during the first half despite several mistakes along the way, and managed to tie up score by halftime.

Our running game really got going in the second half, and our defense stepped up and made several great plays, like the interception pictured at left. Just moments before this happened, they'd shown number 81 (Russell Brorsen) on the screen because he was the scholar of the week or something, because he's a chemistry major with a 3.96 GPA. What a great day for him to have a great game!

It was such an exciting game because it was so close throughout, and my heart was absolutely pounding the last 30 minutes. I was such a stress case it took me at least an hour to get my heart rate back to normal! The stress was all worth it though, since the outcome was a dream come true--our first win in Manhattan since 1989!! That was my junior year of high school! Amazing!

The greatest thing about this important win is that for the first time in more than 10 years the Jayhawks are ranked in the top 25 in both the AP and coaches poll! It's so exciting! I can't wait until next week's game--especially since my brother will be here to go to the game with us!

For more on the game and more pictures, check out the Lawrence Journal-World, where I found this classic photo. I must admit it's a tad bit obnoxious, but I just couldn't resist posting it because it made me laugh so hard! :)

6 comments:

Beth said...

No way - we are in the top 25?!?! Wow!

On a side note, James and I feel like we were bad luck for KU athletics...when we were there nothing awesome happened...not NCAA titles, and no dancing in the streets after a game. Oh well. At least we aren't Nebraskans and didn't lose by 30 points to MU, right?

HOping the Smethermithers read this,
Beth ;)

kjl said...

So funny, Beth! I'm guessing Jamber will not find this so amusing though. :)

The Tilted Tulip said...

I LOVED this picture in the LJW! I saw it in print this week and cracked up. My favorite is the grumpy guy pouting in the bottom right of the photo. So classic!

Rock Chalk!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I read this Beth! Hmmmm...I seem to remember watching the NU-KU game last year at a certain couple's apartment where a female resident of said apartment claimed to be a Husker fan! (And no, I wasn't referring to Mia!) You leave the country and your loyalties change?!?!

I'm not giving up on the 'Skers, but I am glad I am a co-fan of the 'Hawks so I can follow a winning team this season. Husker Nation's manta of 2007: Wait 'til next year! (Hopefully!)

Beth said...

I do love the Huskers, Amber! I just *had* to throw that in for fun. You know me :)

Anonymous said...

Excellent breakdown of the game. ESPN is holding on line two!