Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Football: Past and Future

On Saturday, my brother Eric was in town visiting from LA, so he joined Chad and I at the very rainy KU/Baylor game. Our day got off to a bang when we left the house and walked to the street where Eric's rental car was parked, and about half way there we heard/felt/saw the LOUDEST lighting strike any of us had ever experienced! We saw the flash of orange/red in the sky just a fraction of a second before hearing a boom so loud we felt it throughout our bodies! It was really scary. We all expected to see one of the neighbor's houses in flames, it felt so close. Needless to say, we hurried to get in the car at that point--that is, after I screamed like a little girl!!

We stopped for a quick breakfast, where we received a phone call from a friend, telling us that the kickoff had been pushed back to 12:30. We headed back home, where we discovered that kickoff had been pushed back again to 1:15. We finally made it to the game, and thanks to our good friends Heather and Grant, we had some of the most perfect seats in the stadium! Since my brother was with us for the weekend, and Heather and Grant weren't planning to go to the game, they swapped us their 3 tickets under the press box with our two tickets that they were going to give to another couple. At the beginning of the game when everyone in the stadium was getting rained on, the three of us were perfectly dry! At the end of the first quarter, when the lightning strikes started getting close again, we were able to safely stay put while most of the fans were running for cover. It was awesome!

The weather eventually dried up a little, and the Jayhawks' 58-10 domination of the Baylor Bears continued. It was still a little blustery, but I thought it was actually good football weather. It was great hanging out with my brother and watching KU win yet again!

So that was the football of the past week, but the future football that I'm SOOOOOO excited about is the KU/CU game in Boulder and the Steelers/Broncos game in Denver this weekend! We're leaving Thursday and staying in Salina with Chad's folks that night, then driving to Colorado bright and early Friday morning. I'm so excited just to be back in Colorado--I think it's been a couple of years since we've been there. I'm such a huge fan of the mountains and can't wait to see that horizon! I also can't wait to spend a relaxing weekend away from the responsibilities of home, just hanging out with my best friend in the world and cheering on our favorite teams. I can hardly wait!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colorado + ROCK CHALK + Terrible Towel + MY Best Friend = incredible weekend!

Erin said...

Totally laughing to myself at the thought of you screaming like a little girl. I would have done the exact same thing! Holy cow! I was inside my screened in back porch a few years ago watching a storm when lightening struck the tree in our front yard (it had a metal chain stuck in it for some reason). I totally screamed!

Anonymous said...

What a great weekend it was, too. Love the picture of you two and loved the game!!!!!!!! I was pacing the floor for a while..=) (Okay, so I am a big fan of Jayhawks!!!! But I am very quiet when the Cats and Hawks play.)sa