Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What's the Deal with Drip Pans?

What is with these things? I went to clean a couple of our drip pans on the stove top the other day, and when I removed them, the junk I found underneath was nauseating. Why is there a hole in the middle that allows crumbs and spilled liquids down into your stove? Wouldn't these things be more effective if they didn't have a hole in the middle? I mean, I understand that one of them needs a hole because there's usually a vent for the oven on one burner, but does every one of them need a hole? Couldn't they make some without holes...or do they?

Regardless, let me just say that I can't wait for us to finally replace the icky stove that came with our house almost nine years ago. I'm guessing that it's the original stove, and since our house was built in 1992 or 1993, the stove would be almost 15 years old! You could say that it has issues, the most unique being that the numbers that tell you the oven temperature have all rubbed off, so we've got ridiculous looking stickers that tell us how far to turn the dial. Tell me that isn't downright embarrassing!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen the stickers and thought perhaps you re-did them because the original degree indicator was inaccurate, meaning the oven was consistently more/less warm than it said. I just thought you were ingenious!
When you go to purchase a new stove, may I recommend the flat-top kind. I know some people (especially those gourmet cook types) are anti-flat-top stoves, but ours has worked well, is very even in terms of heat, and I challenge anyone to find a model out there that is easier to clean! That said, don't look too closely at ours the next time you're over!

kjl said...

I'm glad to hear you like your flat-top, because I've already picked out the exact model I want! I was going to include a link to it in my blog, but Chad thought I would be weird (what's new) for blogging about the stove on my wish list. He said something about people not wanting to read my blog if I was talking about major appliances, but I have to say I'm really excited about getting a new one someday soon! :)

Anonymous said...

i disagree with chad...throwing in a post about major home appliances every now and then might even raise your blog readership...

kjl said...

HA! Thanks, RICK--in his face! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice try, "Rick". Or should I call you by your real name, Kimberly Jo Luce?