Monday, January 08, 2007

Corporate Brilliance

You may have seen in the news last week that Home Depot's CEO resigned after investors became angry about lagging stock prices. Tonight, Chad and I believe we witnessed first hand one of the problems with Home Depot's efficiency that might be fueling their financial woes.

I will say that in general, we like Home Depot. Of course, here in Lawrence we have no other large home improvement stores. Let's just say that we were thrilled when they came to town because the Payless Cashways that was here prior to their arrival was pathetic. But I digress...

This particular Home Depot story starts with Chad cleaning the garage a couple of weekends ago and deciding to build some new shelves. He went to HD to find some brackets but didn't find the size he needed. He came home and went to the handy-dandy Home Depot website, found the brackets he wanted, and ordered them online.

So this evening, I walked out the front door to take the dogs for a walk and there were six huge boxes sitting on our front porch. I glanced to see that they were from Home Depot, then walked off puzzled, wondering what in the world Chad had ordered. When the dogs and I arrived home a little later, I went to bring the boxes inside and noticed that each was remarkably light.

Chad arrived home a couple of hours later and was startled by the huge boxes in the entryway, since, he informed me, he had only ordered 6 wall brackets. As he started opening boxes we were absolutely astounded with the findings. As you've probably guessed by now, each bracket was in it's own box! Since you really had to see it to believe it, I ran and grabbed a camera immediately.


The words coming out of Chad's mouth right now are "You have to be flipping kidding me!"


These are the six brackets, after they'd been unpackaged, stacked in two piles.


Since clearly each box barely had anything in it, there was a lot of packaging involved!



Chad badmouths the "quailtards" who must have done the packaging.

As you might of guessed, I got a darn good laugh out of the whole thing, but then again, I'm easily entertained. The less entertaining part was spending 30 minutes of the evening popping all of that bubble wrap so that we could actually fit the stuff in the trash and recycle the boxes! How incredibly wasteful could one company be?

No comments: