Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Bonus Day

Today I got a bonus day off. As I'm sure you know, federal offices were closed for President Ford's funeral, which meant that state offices were closed, which meant that the University was closed, which meant that KU Endowment and the Alumni Association were both closed. While I'm not complaining, I'm still totally confused about why G.W. declared it a national day of mourning and closed down the government. It's not that I'm second guessing the decision to honor our past presidents--it's just that I'm baffled as to why we didn't show the same respect when President Reagan died back in 2004. Let me also just say that it scares me at how quickly time flies, since before I just looked it up, I felt like Reagan's death was just a few months ago--but my poor memory is a totally different story. Well, then again, maybe it's actually the same story. Maybe the federal government did shut down for Reagan's funeral as well and I just don't remember it. Somebody please help me out here. I hate inconsistency. Did federal offices close for Reagan's funeral, and if not, why not? Honestly, this is not intended as a commentary on who was the better president or anything, even though most historians would agree that Reagan was significantly more popular. I'm merely very curious. Although I haven't scoured the Internets for an explanation, I have yet to hear a plausible one from those people to whom I've posed this question. Help me out, friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work for the USPS and we did get a day off for Reagan's funeral. Doesn't seem like that long ago, though.

kjl said...

Thanks for the reminder, Linda! I'm wondering if maybe just federal offices closed, or maybe state offices closed and the University didn't, or maybe the University did and KUEA didn't, or maybe those of us here at KUEA just have really bad memories! :)