Sunday, January 28, 2007

I'll Admit It...I Like Weird Al

I've been meaning to share this song ever since Chad and I discovered it a couple of weeks ago, at which time we were doubled over and crying with laughter. However, for you to understand how we found it in the first place, I sort of have to start at the beginning.

A while back some friends of ours were telling us about a very funny "music video" by the infamous singer R. Kelly. At the time, I'd never actually heard an R. Kelly song (that I was aware of), and the only things I knew about him were those things I'd learned from Dave Chappelle, which were not flattering, to say the least. Regardless, apparently a couple of years ago R. Kelly attempted to make a serious "hip-hop opera" which has reached minor cult status because it is such a ridiculously hilarious piece of unintentional comedy. All twelve chapters of this masterpiece, called Trapped in the Closet, can be found on YouTube. Although we actually only watched the first chapter, it was all we really needed to get the gist of how absurd the whole thing was. Really, to appreciate the rest of the story, you kind of have to watch a little bit of the ridiculousness, which you can do here. Or, if you'd like a special treat, you can watch a little of the "performance" of Trapped that R. Kelly did at the Video Music Awards back in 2005.

So the other night, Chad and I had a few minutes to kill and we decided to watch another chapter of Trapped just for kicks. What we found on YouTube and ended up watching instead were several parodies of Trapped that were hilarious now that we were familiar with the original. The one that made us laugh the hardest was Weird Al's Trapped in the Drive Thru. I will admit that Weird Al holds a special place in my heart since he was popular during my childhood, but I do seriously think he is actually pretty creative and talented! Once you've watched a little of the original Trapped, you have to check out Weird Al's version. There's no video or anything, but hopefully you'll still find it as amusing as we did.



If you want to check out the rest of the song, click here. Better yet, if you want to see another hilarious recent parody by Weird Al, check out the video White and Nerdy. Funny stuff!

No comments: