Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Apple Who Fell Far From The Tree

Last Saturday, my mom and I spent an afternoon together at Sunfire Ceramics, a paint-your-own-pottery studio that Mom really loves. We've been there together several times, and each time I've painted a piece of pottery that looks like the masterpiece of a 6-year-old. As I may have mentioned before, I'm a terrible artist. I mean really terrible. The crazy thing about this is that my mom is an amazing artist. I mean really amazing. The last time we were at Sunfire, some lady walked up and asked her if she was a professional. She can paint these amazing landscapes and flowers and all sorts of things that I can't even picture in my mind, let alone paint! I'm clearly much more of a left-brained person (hence, my job as a programmer/analyst), so all I can envision are patterns and shapes that I want to paint, but I have no fine motor control over those darn little paintbrushes! It's very frustrating!

So anyway, today I went down to Sunfire and picked up the pieces that we painted last weekend. I'm so proud of my mom's work. It's so beautiful. I'm so not proud of mine. I'm sure it won't be too hard to guess which is which.



I really can't comprehend how I inherited absolutely none of my mother's artistic ability and very little of my father's musical ability! Not fair!! I only got my mom's love of people and gift of gab (clearly) and my dad's analytical brain. I guess that's the mystery of genetics!

No comments: