Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Very Great Day

Yesterday was such a terrific day--the type that you wish you could have every weekend! It unfortunately started a little too early (for a Saturday) because of the early start to the KU game, but it wasn't really that hard to wake up that morning because I was so excited about the day to come. I baked some cinnamon rolls for a tailgate gathering, and then we headed out the door decked in our KU attire. We ran into our friend Terry and his mom on the way to the stadium, and then dropped by the tailgate party of one of Chad's coworkers, who had been there since like 6:30 a.m.! After that we headed to the tailgate of our friend LaRisa, who was celebrating her birthday that day. After lighting the candles on her cinnamon rolls and chatting for a little while, we headed across the hill to visit the tailgate party of some of my friends from college. I was so excited to see these friends--most of whom I only run into every few years. One of them--my friend Heather--I'm pretty sure I hadn't seen since Chad and I got married 15 years ago!

It was so great to see so many of my sorority sisters at once and to get to meet all of their cute little ones too. We hung out and chatted with everyone until right up until game time, and then we rushed into the stadium and made it just in time for the kickoff. The Jayhawks got off to a slow start, but after the first quarter we started to pick up the pace and take control of the game. The only bad things about the game were that 1) my boy Jake Sharp aggravated an injury and didn't end up playing very much, and 2) despite the 75 degree weather, we were burning up in our seats! I'm not sure why the sun was so hot yesterday, but it wasn't just us--our friends LaRisa and Brian and Paula were all incredibly hot too! Chad and I ended up going outside of the stadium at half time and laying down on the cool sidewalk in the shade to cool off!

After the great win by Todd and the boys (44-16), we stopped back by our two tailgate parties before heading back to our car. We picked up some food on the way home, and after eating and cleaning up the kitchen, I laid down with Chad to watch some football and promptly feel asleep! An afternoon nap should seriously be a part of every weekend!

I did manage to get up and get the dogs walked before heading over to my friend Dre's house (which is now less than a half mile us), where she and her husband hosted a fabulous dinner for all of my college friends. It was so wonderful to spend time with these girls after so many years. They are so much fun, and they all look absolutely fabulous--if they look any different than our college years it's because they look better than they did back then! Most of them have awesome little kiddos and it was great to watch them all play together. The only thing that could have made the evening better was if a few other people in our pledge class could have joined us!

While I'm generally pretty good at keeping up with my friends via email, I am notoriously bad about calling people and have never been good at keeping in touch by phone. Since the Internet was not very popular yet when we graduated back in 1994, I didn't do a good job of staying in contact with these friends--which makes me so sad! Part of that was because I had just gotten married and they were all still living together and hanging out all the time--so we definitely had different interests and priorities, but I definitely wish I could have somehow spent more time with them over the last 15 years. Getting back in touch with these girls is one of the reasons I've been so thankful for Facebook. Hopefully our little pledge class reunion will become an annual affair and I will start seeing these girls a lot more often!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Looks like y'all had so much fun. I wish I could do that with my sorority sisters. I'm hoping to see some at the A&M Game in Oct.