Sunday, August 09, 2009

It's My Birthday and I'll Be Tired If I Want To

I've had an eventful birthday today and it has been lovely, but I'll admit that I'm incredibly tired. After hanging out with our friends Robyn and Dan last night while watching the UFC fights, we didn't get to bed until about 12:30 a.m. At 4:30 a.m., Celtic woke me up because he was nervous about a beeping noise coming from the kitchen (don't ask). I didn't go back to sleep because the alarm was set for 5 a.m.

Why in the world would we get up at 5 a.m. on a Sunday on my birthday, you ask? Well, this morning was the Kansas City Race for the Cure, and my wonderful husband agreed to drive to KC this morning to participate in the very popular 5K that raises money for Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Someone from my office put together a team, and since I hadn't participated since 2007, I thought it would be a fun birthday event! The race just gets bigger and bigger every year--this year there were over 28,000 people registered! Even though I can't run because of my back and Chad can't run because of his knee, we still had a fun time as we power walked our 14.5 minute miles. Here are a few pictures from the morning!



Chad followed up the 5K with two softball games, so he's probably way more tired than I am, but sitting out in the heat watching him was exhausting too! A few of our softball friends came over after his games to grill and hang out, and it was great having people over to the new house since it's so much closer to the softball fields! Everyone left at about 6:30 or so, at which time I promptly fell asleep while watching Tiger play golf on our DVR. I woke up just a few minutes ago, just in time to finish this blog, get ready for bed, and go back to sleep! I'm pooped!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Wow, what a birthday!! Puts mine to shame. Course I haven't had it yet but I know it's not going to start out with a 5K! Impressive!!

Anonymous said...

Well, just watching the walk made me wish I had been there. It makes me want to do the walk again. In fact I missed the whole event.I need to get back in walking shape. Good for you guys. Love you, mom