Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My New Toy

Did anyone happen to notice the lovely picture of our girl Hope from my post on her birthday? Does that picture seem especially fabulous to anyone besides me? If you have a very keen eye and you did notice it was incredibly beautiful, I assure you it doesn't have anything to do with my talent as a photographer. It does, however, have to do with a new toy that I got late last week--a new 50 mm lens!! I'm totally in love with this thing!!

Although I haven't learned nearly enough about SLR photography in the 1+ year that I've had my camera, I did learn relatively quickly that I couldn't get the shots I really wanted without a faster lens that allows more light in with a wider aperture. I actually found the lens I wanted in March, but it wasn't available anywhere online, so I ordered it from Nebraska Furniture Mart, of all places. Unfortunately, it never came in because it was on back order. I pretty much forgot about it during the move, but after we got into the new house I followed up and found they had pushed the delivery date back yet again. Since an Amazon.com vendor claimed to have it in stock, I canceled the NFM order and ordered on Amazon last Monday, and by Thursday it had arrived!!!

I opened my new toy Friday evening after dinner and took a few shots inside, with absolutely no natural light and even very little artificial light, and the pictures were still amazing. My second photo session was the next morning outside, and the pictures were even more incredible. I love this lens so much!! It makes me feel like I could someday be a real photographer!

I know my blog has been a little heavy on the slideshows lately, but you have to see the terrific pictures from my new toy!!

3 comments:

cw said...

Celtic is the most photogenic dog on the planet! Perhaps I am biased.

Jen said...

Yeah! I knew you would love that lens! A lens makes all the difference in the world!

Erin said...

Okay, now I want one. How much was it?