Saturday, September 29, 2007

Pawsible Dreams

Friday night we went to the annual Pawsible Dream auction--the biggest fundraiser for the Lawrence Humane Society each year. It's always a fun event, and I always enjoy being able to socialize with my shelter friends outside of being at the shelter! I love bidding on stuff just to increase the final purchase price, even if I know that I won't win, and even if I'm not necessarily dying to have the item in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I don't bid on stuff I find completely hideous or useless, but I certainly bid on things that I wouldn't purchase in a store! For example, one of the items I won this year was this picture frame and matching doggy (complete with cartoon picture in case you couldn't figure out it was a frame).

While I thought it was cute, when I made my bid it was still pretty early in the silent auction and the price wasn't ridiculous, so I really didn't think I'd win it at all. Chad wasn't exactly thrilled about this purchase, so I guess I might be taking it to display in one of my offices.

My favorite all time LHS auction prize is this hand-painted antique window that I got a couple of years ago. I think it's so pretty!


The artist who did it submits a different one every year, and I'm always tempted to bid on another because I just think they're just beautiful. If I had a lick of artistic talent I would paint one myself--it's such a simple idea!

The only other item I won this year was something I'd been planning to purchase anyway, so I'm kind of excited about it. This friend of ours from high school has a business creating the most adorable customized stationary, which I saw for the first time at last year's auction. I got outbid last year, but this year I came out victorious!

Of course, the most important part about buying lots of fun stuff at the auction is that all of the proceeds go to help my doggy and kitty friends! Last year the event raised over $30,000!!

4 comments:

Beth said...

Are those supposed to be doggy bones on the corners of the frame? Just curious :)

The flower window frame is GREAT!

kjl said...

Uh, yeah...I guess the frame is a little silly looking! I still like the doggy though. As you might remember, I have a collection of little dog figurines from my childhood, so he fits in perfectly! :)

Anonymous said...

How is it that I've never seen the antique window at your house? Have I just completely missed it?

If you seriously want another one of those, I say you enlist your mom's incredible artistic ability!

kjl said...

I actually thought of my mom painting one too, Amber! She would be great at that!

And by the way, the window is hanging in the "yellow room" at our house, which has been sort of a storage room as of late, so the door is usually closed!