Thursday, September 20, 2007

One Year Later

I mentioned yesterday that I've been slightly depressed this week, and while some of it was softball related, some of it was definitely because today has been hanging over my head all week. Chad and I were just not looking forward to today at all. One year ago, on September 20, 2006, our beloved furry son Steeler passed away.

It seems like just yesterday that our little man was curled up beside me at bedtime or trotting along beside his brother on our daily walk. I still remember so vividly the early morning hours of that terrible day, when we took him to the emergency vet and watched so helplessly as he passed away. I still find it so hard to talk about him or to think about him without crying. I still just miss him so much. It certainly does get easier with time, but I know that no matter how many years go by, there will always be a Steeler sized hole in my heart. I miss you, little guy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said. We know it is hard for people with kids to understand how much our dogs mean to us. I love Hope (and our foster dog Fresco), but Steeler and Celtic brought an unmatched joy to our lives. We will always have dogs, but none can ever replace the two best friends we have ever had. I am so thankful that Celtic is still healthy and active, even though he is more melancholy after his brother's passing.

I want to thank our close friend, Dante, who called at 7:30 a.m. yesterday to say that he was thinking of us and Steeler. It really meant the world to us.

Beth said...

I can't believe it has been a year. :( I hope you do something in remembrance of Steeler. It is so wonderful that you continue to take dogs in as foster parents and that you take the risk of loving new pets even though it can be heartbreaking at times.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you are sharing those feelings because C and I have talked about him so much and how much we still miss him. Steeler and Celtic were part of my heart from the moment we saw them. I'm so thankful that Celtic has a sister too. I always told friends that I had grandpuppies and they were(are) wonderful. Thinking about you both...and also Celtic because I am sure that he must have a sense of it. Love you, mom

James said...

I can certainly tell how much your dogs mean to you both, and I can only imagine how hard it was to lose him. I'm glad I was able to enjoy his presence and personality for the time I was around him. Hope you both are enjoying all the good memories on this difficult day.