Tuesday, September 25, 2007

P.O.A. Step 3

A couple of weeks ago I blogged about taking step two in my marketing campaign to help get Fresco adopted. I actually ended up not getting step two finished at all, but instead ended up doing step one twice: I updated Fresco's Petfinder page that week, and then updated it again over the weekend. What I most recently altered in this online description was the reference to the date Fresco originally came to the shelter, which was November 2006. Based on the fact that not a single person had emailed us after seeing his Petfinder ad, I decided that people must be prejudiced against him because of how long he'd been in the doggie orphanage. It sounds silly, but it actually happens at the LHS all the time. The shelter often houses perfectly wonderful dogs who get overlooked for a month or so for whatever reason (had a pending application that fell through, had a crazy roommate, was a common color, etc.), and after people start seeing how long the dog has been there, they just start assuming there must be something wrong with it. Fresco was one of those dogs when he was at the shelter, and I suspected that this phenomenon was still occurring even though he'd moved out of the shelter! So over the weekend I tested my theory and took out the reference to his November 2006 arrival and just mentioned that he'd come to stay with us in August. Voila! We've since had three emails from people who saw him on Petfinder! We're in the process of scheduling meetings with a couple of them. We're not entirely sure either home is the perfect one for Fresco, but we're excited that people are finally starting to show some interest!

The step in my plan of action that I never got done was sending an email out to everyone I know to share a link to Fresco's publicity flier. I put that step on hold until I could get around to loading some more pictures and videos of our dear puppy online. He's so freaking cute you just have to check these out. I have a couple of other videos that are much better, but they're also too large to load onto Picasa. I need to find some freeware that will allow me to convert the video files to something smaller!

The way I'm frantically trying to get Fresco adopted, you'd think he was a terrible burden or we didn't like him or something. The fact is, we adore him. We are having a hard time imagining our family without him, but we know our little man Celtic will be happier to have more of our attention all to himself. Hope, on the other hand, will be devastated when Fresco is gone. They are such good wrestling buddies. The bottom line is that the longer he stays at our house, the harder it's going to be to say goodbye to him! So if I seem a little frantic about getting him adopted, it's only because I'm trying to save us all some heartache!

2 comments:

James said...

Good idea, Kim! I hope Fresco finds a good home soon.

Beth said...

Isn't that weird that ppl think just b/c a dog is there longer than a few days he is damaged goods?! bizzaro.

Sounds like when Fresco gets adopted Chad will need to start an internal Luce Ultimate Hope Fighting ring so she can still get a good workout! Batter up, Chad!