Thursday, September 06, 2007

How You Know You're Getting Old

This morning, I walked into the kitchen at work and glanced at today's copy of the University Daily Kansan sitting on the counter. This was the picture on the front page:

It was under the heading of "Student Life", so I guessed it was a story about some incoming freshman or something. When I looked at the caption, I discovered that all four of these kids are, in fact, not freshman at all--they're actually seniors serving on the Board of Class Officers. Okee dokie. I really thought they all looked 18. This is a very disturbing sign of my advancing age!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ignore the age thing. 1) You don't look your age. 2) You don't act like an "older person". 3) You are wiser in your years. 4) And finally, You are not old!!! Ignore those younger people--they barely have a clue about getting wiser. ss

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about this post and doing some observation of my own today on campus. At first I thought I'd have no problem identifying a freshman from a senior, given that I have all ages in my classes this semester. I think I can pick out the freshmen, but it may be more due to their actions than their appearance per se. I think after this first year, they all get lumped into a messy, non-specific category--undergrad. (Don't get me wrong, I love 'em--they make my job worth doing.) I have high confidence I can spot a grad student though! If they are actually in the library to work, are on campus post 5pm, or at the Rec on a Friday night, there is no doubt. Oh wait, I just incriminated myself, huh?

kjl said...

Thanks Mom...I mean perfect stranger. :)

Anonymous said...

when I look at high schoolers! I think "Gee, I never looked *that* young when I was in high school....right?"

James said...

Amber--I can spot grad students, too!!!