Sunday, November 19, 2006

We're Down With OCC

Those of you who are our age might catch my musical reference, but actually this post has nothing to do with bad rap songs from from the early 90s. The OCC I'm talking about is Operation Christmas Child, a really neat project of a Christian service organization called Samaritan's Purse. We've participated in this project for the last few years, and although it's very simple, it's also very fun and rewarding. You can watch the video from the Operation Christmas Child link above to get a more detailed look at what it's all about, but in a nutshell, people fill up shoe boxes with gifts and toys for small children, and then OCC delivers those boxes to children in very remote areas of the world who may have never heard about Jesus and the celebration of his birth.

For the last couple of years, we've gone with our Journey Group (bible study/fellowship group) to the dollar store and had a blast picking out toys and gifts for our boxes. Here's all the cool stuff we got this year (for a 5-9 year old girl) and the process of putting it all together!




Voila! Our box is all ready to go, so today we'll deliver it to our church, and then someone from our church will take all the boxes to an official OCC drop off location, where I assume other volunteers for the organization will pick them up. Last year, Samaritan's Purse collected over 7.6 million shoe boxes and delivered them to children in 95 different countries! We think it's a really cool program!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope it isn't too late to do another one. I will get on it right away. I'm glad you reminded me of it. I've been going through a lot of the archives and have been catching up on several things. I always learn something I didn't know. Hey, thanks. Dr.A