Friday, November 10, 2006

Welcome Home, John

I don't know John, but last night when I walked the dogs through a nearby development, there were tons of signs welcoming home this National Guardsman who'd been stationed in Iraq. His family had put signs on the community mailbox, explaining that he'd over there for 1 1/2 years and was coming home on the 9th, and asking the neighborhood to participate in his homecoming by putting up their American flags. There were flags on almost all the houses lining the street, and signs with "Welcome Home" or "Great Job" in almost every yard. One family had made a huge 12 foot banner, and the house where John lives was decorated with tons of lights and a big balloon arch. I can't tell you how moving it was, which seems odd since I've really never met this person (although I have met their Border Collie named Two and their Lab mix named Zero). I just couldn't help but think about him having been away from his family for 18 months, and the incredible joy and emotion he must have felt finally coming home. Just seeing the support from all of his neighbors must have been overwhelming, especially since 2 days before there had been a slew of rivaling campaign posters in the yards just across the street. Now, they both had American flags and were united in their cause--showing love for the troops.

While the scene was very emotional in a joyful way, it also brought to mind the thousands of families who won't ever have this joyful homecoming because their son or daughter or father or mother was killed in the war. It's just devastating to think about, and reminded me that I should be committed to praying for a peaceful resolution to the conflict, regardless of whether I'm for or against the war in the first place.

Apparently I wasn't the only one who found John's homecoming noteworthy. There's an article about it this morning in the Lawrence Journal-World.

No comments: