Thursday, September 11, 2008

Unity

Today is obviously a very important date in the history of our country. It's hard to believe it's been seven years since that fateful day. My friend Suzanne and I were talking today about exactly where we were when we heard the news of the first plane crash. I vividly remember watching the first tower fall on live television with my coworkers in the main kitchen of our office. I remember the pangs of devastation I felt while watching the horrific tragedy and the weeks of depression that followed. I couldn't even begin to imagine the devastation and depression that must have been felt by those people who actually lived through the disaster.

What I also remember is the amazing sense of unity that Americans seemed to feel in the months that followed 9-11. We went through such a profound period of common interest and purpose regardless of political affiliation. It's so sad to me that in the last seven years, we seem to have lost any unity we once had.

Back in those days I really liked John McCain. I thought he was a moderate, reasonable, fairly independent man who was sort of representative of middle America--someone I could have voted for. Now I feel like he's done nothing but try and divide America. His choice of a inexperienced, ultra-conservative running mate is a good example--she is such an amazingly polarizing figure. I spent entirely too much time today reading heartfelt, impassioned, intelligent letters from women all over the country who are very dismayed about McCain's VP choice on a new blog called Women Against Sarah Palin. While I know that not every letter had every fact about Palin 100% correct, it was still extremely interesting and thought provoking. I found it fascinating, and yet depressing at the same time. Why can't we all just get along?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here, here.

amanda warren said...

It was so painful, and at the same time so telling, to hear her say "In what respect Charlie?" when asked about the Bush Doctrine. I'm with Matt Damon, this woman is terrifying me to no end.