Monday, July 30, 2007

Days of Lilies

Probably not many of you know this, but the daylily is my favorite flower. I love the big, showy blossoms and all of the long, skinny leaves that fan out around them. I love that they come in tons of different sizes and colors which bloom for various weeks throughout the summer. I love that they're perennial, since perennials are the only thing that I plant in my garden! Most of all, I love that they're so hardy that they'll continue to bloom even when I fail to water them, which I usually do. The only thing I don't like about daylilies is that each blossom only stays open for one day!

So a few weeks ago I noticed that a few of my favorite daylilies were getting down to their last blossoms of the year, so I pulled out the camera to capture their last fleeting moments of beauty. Actually, I also needed to record the layout of the garden in full bloom in preparation for a major garden overhaul project next spring. Chad is clamoring to get the flowers moved away from the new(er) siding so that bugs aren't as likely to be burrowing into our home (when we took off the old siding a couple of years ago it was completely infested with carpenter ants, so I guess he's not just being paranoid). Thanks to my pictures, I'll know exactly where too look for each flower next spring even if it has yet to pop through the ground. Although my garden certainly leaves much to be desired, I still wanted to share my flower pictures with everyone! Happy daylily days! :)

3 comments:

Erin said...

I think your flowers are beautiful!

kjl said...

Thanks, Paiger! I'm sure they would look a lot better if I spent more time watering and weeding though! :)

Unknown said...

Your flowers are beautiful! Thanks for sharing! mom