Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My Husband's Worst Nightmare

If you know my husband, you probably know that he's not a big fan of heights. In case you were wondering, he's also not a big fan of small enclosed spaces. I had to laugh yesterday when he sent me a link to this article about a bunch of people who were trapped in the St. Louis Arch after a power outage. Along with the link was this message:

"Reason 10,232 that I avoid these type of situations. Can you imagine being trapped for 3 hours in an elevator at the top of the Arch?"

I have to admit, even though I don't have a problem with heights or clausterphobia, I'm with Chad on this one. Three hours without light, AC or water in a small enclosed space with over 250 people? I can't imagine many experiences more horrible than that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chad, you are not alone. I'm extremely glad that my one and only trip to the top of the STL arch was when I was about 7 years old. I'm certain I wouldn't be able to handle it now. One of my biggest fears in life is that I will get stuck on an elevator. Traumatic experiences early in life...but those are stories for another time and place. Today, my first instinct when boarding any elevator is to look for the phone, just in case we get stuck. This does not work well in my current building where the elevator does not have said phone. In this situation, I religiously look to see if I have my cell phone on me (as if I'd get reception in an elevator shaft!) in case of emergency. I also look to see how many people I will have to share oxygen with until we are rescued...and I'm not even joking.

The Tilted Tulip said...

THAT'S TERRIBLE!!! I just had a minor panic at the computer thinking about it. I've been in those little pod elevators a few times, and it's not pleasant. It's great being on top, but the ride up is not so great. Eeeek!

Anonymous said...

One time up there was enough for me.