Sunday, November 30, 2008

Our Missouri Miracle

This morning I'm re-watching the second half of yesterday's incredible, amazing, stupendous football game against those awful Missouri Tigers. We skipped church this morning, not because I wanted to watch the game again, but because Chad is sick in bed and I didn't get home until 12:30 this morning after going to a wedding/reception in Junction City/Abilene last night. Wouldn't you know that during the best/last game of the year I'd have to be getting ready for a wedding! I watched most of the second half out of the corner of my eye while blow-drying my hair, putting on make-up and getting dressed, and then actually had to leave the house before the game was over--missing the most incredible final drive in KU football history!

This game was flippin' amazing on so many levels. First of all, no one, including our own fans, thought we had a real chance at winning this game. We were 14 point underdogs, had lost 4 out of our last 5 games, and had been dealing with some serious injuries to several of our star players. I knew it was possible that we could win, but certainly didn't think it was probable. That will certainly teach me to doubt my beloved Jayhawks!

The game was such an incredible team effort with so many key contributors. I could go on and on about Reesing's seemingly impossible scrambling and ridiculously high completion percentage. I could talk forever about Stuckey's two amazing interceptions and awesome tomahawk chop that caused a huge fumble. I could write paragraphs about Briscoe's many crazy catches destined for the ESPN highlight reels, and his incredible yardage gained on kickoff returns--a position he hadn't even played all year. I could blab about my boy (and fellow Mustang) Sharp and his big 19 yard touchdown run. I could give a shout out to Laptad and his tenacious pursuit of that whiny, tantrum-throwing MU quarterback. I could talk with amazement about Meier, who was always moving to make himself available, who was pretty much a one man show on that final incredible drive. I could mention all the other amazing KU receivers--Fields, Wilson and Herford--who all made key catches at critical times. I could heap praise on Rojas, who hadn't really punted well all year but managed to pin Mizzou back on multiple occasions and avoid the amazing Maclin like the plague at the same time. I could mention the offensive line, who did a much better job of protecting Reesing than they had in so many games this year. I could talk about my favorite defensive player James "Steve Holt!!" Holt, and his big sack and his persistent one handed tackle of Maclin by the back of his jersey. And I could definitely describe, with the utmost respect, our tough-as-nails kicker Brandstetter, who TWICE saved a probable touchdown (the last one that would have given MU a win) by drilling Maclin like a linebacker on a Mizzou kickoff return. Obviously, I could go on and on and on and on.

Watching the dramatic finish this morning, after having to celebrate alone driving in my car yesterday (screaming like a crazy person and pounding on my steering wheel), my eyes are still filled with tears of joy. We couldn't have asked for a more amazing end to our regular season, for a better college football game in general.

If you weren't lucky enough to get to watch the game yesterday, you can check out the recap from the KU Sports website here or the photo gallery here!

1 comment:

jake said...

What a fantastic finish for the 'Hawks! We were in an airplane during the game, but were fortunate to be flying Frontier (which has Direct TV). Our flight was delayed so they gave us the TV for free, but unfortunately we couldn't get the KU game. We had to settle for occasional updates and the scroll at the bottom of the screen. We gave each other a little high five in the friendly skies when we saw the final score! Rock-Chalk-Jayhawk!