Monday, August 04, 2008

Night Sweats

I probably shouldn't complain about the weather since we've had a much milder than normal summer this year in Lawrence, but I just can't help myself since the last few days have been so horridly and oppressively hot. Our average high this time of year is about 91, but for 4 days we've had temperatures near 100 and heat indexes near 110. The last few days have been so miserable that the weather is the only thing that people in the Lawrence/KC area can seem to talk about!

These are the kind of days where you get out of the shower, get dressed and go to work, walk from the car to your office and then feel like you need to shower again. These are the kind of days that you have to get up at 6 a.m. on Saturdays to work in the yard or to walk the dogs because after 8:30 in the morning it's too unbearable to be outside. These are the kind of days that you have to wait until 9:30 in the evening to walk your dogs because they'll pass out if you walk them before the sun goes down. These are the kind of days that make me want to move to Colorado. It doesn't help that my friends and family in other areas of the country are enjoying beautiful weather as we speak and not hesitating to tell me all about it!

I've said it a million times, but I really think I could handle this kind of heat if it cooled down at all overnight. As it is, there's just no relief. Tonight when we arrived home at 9:50 after walking the dogs, we were covered in sweat and the dogs looked like they'd just run 5 miles. The heat index was 85 degrees at almost 10:00 at night. Ugh.

The good news is that tomorrow is supposed to be the last day that Lawrence is under an excessive heat warning. Highs in the low 80s are on the way! :)

No comments: