Monday, January 28, 2008

Politics, Not As Usual

Obviously the upcoming presidential election is dominating the news these days. Personally, I don't really enjoy politics. First of all, I hate to listen to people debate (argue)--either on t.v. or in person. Secondly, I feel like most political candidates are usually just telling people what they want to hear, rather than being completely honest. For me, elections often feel like trying to pick the lesser of two evils.

So despite the fact that I'm by no means a political junkie, my friend Emily sent me some information the other day that I thought was pretty important and interesting. This year in Kansas, for the first time we actually have a voice in which candidate will get the presidential nomination, which I think is actually kind of exciting!

The Kansas Democratic Party caucus will be held on Super Tuesday, February 5. On the special caucus website you can find out the exact location of your caucus (based on your Senate and Congressional districts) and what exactly happens at the caucus, along with lots more information. Even you're not a registered Democrat you can go to the caucus and change your political affiliation at the door.

The Kansas GOP Caucus will be held on Saturday, February 9. In order to participate in the Republican party caucus, participants must be registered as a Republican by January 25, 2008, so if you're not already a party registrant then you're out of luck on this one. For more information about the caucus visit www.ksgopcaucus.org. Their website isn't quite as informative, but you can at least find out where the Republican Party caucus for your county will be located.

Even though it doesn't necessarily sound like a barrel of monkeys to me, it does sound like a great way to get involved!

No comments: