Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bloody Fruit

As I've mentioned before, I'm weird about actually wanting to try bizarre foods. This is pretty much the complete opposite of my dear husband, who will only eat things that are very basic and standard (although I did get him to try sushi for the first time a few months ago). I don't know why this is--I guess my curiosity just gets the best of me when I see something that looks interesting. You could say I have a fascination for freaky food!

So the other day Chad and I stopped at the store to pick up a few items as we were coming home from some evening engagement, and these purpley splotched oranges caught my eye. Call me sheltered, but I'd never heard of a blood orange, and of course I had to try one. I thought their appearance was pretty interesting--especially once I started peeling!



Although my blood orange was definitely interesting to look at, I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the taste. It just wasn't very flavorful--at least not what you'd expect from a fruit so uniquely colored. It was kind of a cross between a grapefruit and some other citrus fruit, although not nearly as sweet and juicy. Fun to try, but definitely not something worth trying again!

3 comments:

amber said...

I've not tried these either, though I think I'd heard of when used in fancy dishes at restaurants. I would have been totally freaked out by the color of the fruit itself. Very aptly named! Tell me you've tried a pomegranate, right? Amy got one of those years ago when I was at her house and it was also a fun fruit exploration, though not quite as bizarre!

Jen said...

I've never heard or seen this fruit. I'll be looking for it at my next grocery experience minus Aldis.

Tish said...

oh babe you just got a bad one then! they're HUGE in cali and they're flavorful out the wazoo--perfectly sweet, not too tangy. blasted bad fruit. try again! try again!