Friday, November 02, 2007

The Disastertation Party

Tonight we're getting ready to head to a "disastertation party." The name came from the hosts, our friends Jake and Amber, who are both PhD students at KU and are currently working on their dissertations, which they very cleverly refer to as their "disastertations. " The email invite we received last week was just too hilarious not to share. It came under the subject "Friend Abuse/Pizza Party" and read as follows:

---------------------
As many of you know my “disastertation” involves sending out approximately 3,000 surveys to small businesses across the country. Well, the time has finally come to send out these surveys, but before that can happen I need to fold, stuff, seal and stamp all 3,000 of them. If I do all of this work myself my projected completion date is somewhere around 2011, which is where you come in! Next Friday night (November 2nd) at about 7:00 Amber and I will be hosting a little survey stuffing “party” and you (and your spouses) are invited! Don’t you feel honored? :)

We will be providing pizza, beer, and possibly a few other culinary delights. It is my sincere hope that you all have made better plans already*, but if not I would really, really, really, really, really, appreciate your help. In addition to the pizza and beer the other benefits that you may receive from helping are:

1) As Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself”**.

2) I will be prepared to take as much pre-abuse as the KU fans want to dish out before the nearly assured throttling of NU by KU***

3) I will owe each of you a major “solid” that can be repaid in many forms from pet-sitting to household projects or even serving as a proxy at family gatherings or office parties that you don’t want to attend yourself.

4) Your help will ensure that I graduate in May and then you won’t have to deal with such requests any more!

Thanks,

Jake

*Or at least are able to do so in a reasonable amount of time before you have to reply to this e-mail
**No, I’m not that well read I think I heard it on a commercial while listening to sports talk radio earlier this week
***This is solely the view of the author, other Husker fans in attendance may want to fight back

---------------------

With an invite that entertaining, how can we not want attend this fabulous event!? Even though we'll be busy stuffing envelopes, I'm sure we'll still have a great time hanging out with our friends. Of course, I'm also a sucker for free food. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We really, really, really did appreciate your help! We had fun and hope you guys did too. Update: Yesterday between the two of us we finished another 500, so there are just 500 to go! The end is in sight thanks to our fabulous friends!