Saturday, November 17, 2007

11-0

I have to put off blogging about my San Diego trip for one more day, because today I can't not talk about our amazing Jayhawks! We witnessed history being made this afternoon, as KU improved their record in football to 11-0 for the first time in history! It wasn't a super exciting game actually, as KU beat the Iowa State Cyclones easily, 45-7. Our offense had a really good day, racking up an amazing 566 total yards. Our defense played really well too, except for the one ISU drive where we gave them several first downs and ultimately 7 points because of multiple penalties against us. In fact, that was really the only problem the whole day. Before today, we had the lowest average number of penalties per game of any team in the NCAA, with only 3.7 per game. In today's game, we had 9 penalties which lost us 98 total yards. Hopefully that's not a problem that continues into next week, because I'm sure we can't afford to lose those yards against Missouri! I'm already so nervous for the game next weekend!!!! As Chad just put it, "It's the biggest game ever for all time for Kansas."

I wish I'd taken my camera to today's game, not because I wanted to capture any game action, but because of the pregame festivities. Today there were actually planes skywriting above Memorial Stadium before the game--they wrote a big KU right in the middle of the sky and I didn't even get a picture! There was also a flyover with some military helicopters, which was kind of neat, but not nearly as cool as the flyover by two F-18 fighters before the KU/Nebraska game two weeks ago! That day I did have my camera, with which I also captured a great picture of the skydivers who came floating onto the field right before the game. It was pretty cool! The funny part was that the crowd was cheering on the skydivers until they noticed that the 2nd or 3rd one had a purple and white parachute. He was booed onto the field by 50,000+ Jayhawk fans, as I don't know if he was really even a Wildcat! It was pretty funny, but not quite as funny as when one of the refs accidentally said "Time out, Kansas State" when KU called a timeout. The crowd went absolutely ballistic! The ref tried to correct himself, but the boos from the crowd were so deafening no one heard him say "Correction--time out, Kansas." KU football fans are taking their games very seriously this year!

All this talk about the fun football festivities in Lawrence is making me even more excited and nervous for the most important football game in KU history next weekend! Rock Chalk, Jayhawks!!

5 comments:

Erin said...

That must have been my dad skydiving down onto the field with his purple and white parachute.

Anonymous said...

Between the Thanksgiving break and the KU game this Saturday, I predict record low work productivity in the Lawrence area. Of course, I am the exception. These TPS reports are not going to finish themselves!

kjl said...

Ironically, with regard to your prediction of low productivity: my boss has been in a coworker's office for the last hour talking KU football! No joke!

Erin, your dad bleeds so much purple I'll bet he would parachute into enemy territory wearing a Wilcat! :)

Anonymous said...

Chad, in all of your excitement this week, please don't forget the cover sheets on those TPS reports.

kjl said...

Nice one, Amber! :)