Friday, May 11, 2007

A Smile and A Tile

When our precious boy Steeler passed away in September, we had several people make donations in his memory to the Lawrence Humane Society. We used one of those donations to purchase a memorial tile for the lobby of the building, decorated by an aspiring artist who happens to work there. It took me several weeks to get a picture of Steeler selected and then several more weeks for me to remember to take the picture to the shelter, so a few months after his death, my friend Yaslyn got started painting his tile. A couple of months later, she showed me the final product before it had been fired, which I thought was absolutely amazing. It took several more weeks for the woman who ran the kiln to get it finished, but when someone from the shelter went to pick it up, they were horrified to find that the lady had burned it! Yaslyn felt terrible, and insisted that she wanted to do another one to put on the wall. I felt terrible, because I know how many hours she put into it and can't imagine having the talent to create such a perfect likeness! The good news is, since Yaslyn is painting a new tile, she gave us the old one to keep. You can see what an amazing job she did!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Burnt or not, the tile does look great. I miss Steeler.