Thursday, May 10, 2007

Help for Doggies

Speaking of raising money, the second largest fundraiser for the organization closest to my heart--the Lawrence Humane Society--is this weekend! Saturday is the 12th Annual Mutt 'n' Strut, which is a very fun charity walk with tons and tons of dogs. Participants raise or pledge at least $30 for each dog entered, and there are usually hundreds of dogs who join in the fun! It's really a very funny sight to see a huge mass of dogs walking down the street together.

We participated in this walk with Steeler and Celtic for at least 7 or 8 years, and then last year we had all three dogs entered, so it's very much a family event for us. The dogs seem to enjoy it, except that every year the boys would have a huge cow when they saw a human dressed in a McGruff the Crime Dog suit. I could never figure it out--there would be hundreds of dogs of every shape and size standing around, none of whom seemed to be bothered by this costume. Then suddenly our dogs would let out this ear-piercing bay, startling every person and dog in a two block radius. It was so bizarre. People would laugh hysterically because it was so comical, but I have to say it was a little embarrassing. Although some people thought our dogs were just big chickens, I try to tell myself that they're just smarter than the average dog who doesn't know that it's not normal for a grown person to be running around in a dog suit!

I'm sure we'll have fun Saturday morning, but I'm a little bit sad because it will be the first year we will be there without Steeler. We have so many family pictures from past Mutt 'n' Strut's that include both boys, it's hard not to feel like something is missing. Thankfully, Hope will be there to support her brother! :)

For more information about Mutt 'N' Strut, you can check out the online flyer here! Also, if you're so inclined, I'm still accepting pledges! ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just looked at the flyer. I'm always tempted to go to this simply to watch! Is the DDR a contest? If so, I am giving Chad some money specifically earmarked for you to enter. He wouldn't need much because you would SOOOOOOO dominate!

kjl said...

The DDR is something new, so I don't know if it's a contest or not, but either way I don't think I'll be participating! Only my good friends get to witness my Dance Dance prowess! ;)