Thursday, March 15, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mom!

I couldn't let today go by without giving a shout out to my wonderful mother (aka Sherry). Happy birthday, Momma! Sixty-one years ago today, my fantastic mother came into this world. She is an amazing woman who earned the title of "Dr. Mom" 12 years ago when she received her PhD from K-State (I try not to hold her choice of schools against her). She previously worked as a clinical counselor, but is currently an assistant professor in the department of Psychology and Special Education at Emporia State University. She commutes there from Topeka several days a week and then also teaches at their satellite campus in Kansas City, so she is definitely a woman on the go!

In 2006 my dear mother battled breast cancer nearly the entire year, and throughout her ordeal, she kept a positive attitude and a smile on her face. She was living proof that bald can be beautiful! :) With or without hair, I think she is the most gorgeous and naturally youthful looking 61-year-old woman that I've ever met. I can only hope that I have inherited her "young" genes!

Although I brag about my mom's outer beauty, I'm even more proud of the compassionate, caring, considerate and creative person that she is inside! She can paint and write poetry as well as counsel and teach, and she always thinks of others before she thinks of herself. She's generous, genuine and generally goofy, which makes her loads of fun to be with. She's just an amazing woman! Happy 61st, Mom!

3 comments:

Linda said...

As a classmate at the home of the Fighting Irish, Chapman High School C'64, I can say your Mom was special even then.

kjl said...

Thanks Linda! I have no doubt that she was--and still is! :)

Anonymous said...

I can't thank you enough for all the kind words but its because of you and your brother, and all your support that has made me a better me. And I agree I am generally nuts...that's why I have done so many things...I've never decided what I want to be when I grow up. =) Love you, mom