Thursday, March 01, 2007

AAAAAAAHHHHHH Kansas!!

If you live in Kansas, or have ever lived in Kansas, you'll know what I'm talking about when I say that it was WINDY today. Really windy. Yesterday, however, was gorgeous and sunny with highs in the 60s. Then early yesterday evening, this amazing lightning rolled into the area, but with hardly any rain. Overnight, we had thunderstorms. This morning the temperature had dropped, and at about 8 a.m. it began snowing even though the sun was shining (which, by the way, is one of Chad's pet peeves--he can't stand precipitation and sun at the same time). It was blustery and cold at lunchtime, but then the sun came out this afternoon. Although the sun made it look deceivingly nice outside, the wind was absolutely crazy!

I probably wouldn't have felt the need to report to you the weird but very typical weather in Lawrence today, but then something kind of funny happened. I walked into the ladies restroom down the hall from my office at KUAA, and someone had left the window open, apparently all night. It was like 50 degrees in there, and let me tell you, that is one toilet seat that you do NOT want to sit on! Even after I closed the window, the wind was howling so loud you wouldn't even believe it! So I decide to go back to my office and get my Palm Pilot, so that I could take some video, so that you would believe it! Check this out!



Okay, so maybe the wind isn't quite as impressive when you're not standing there catching pneumonia in the restroom. The camera on my Palm leaves a lot to be desired, I know. Hopefully though, you got the idea. It was wicked windy. If that wind wasn't enough for you, check out this other video of the flagpole outside my office.



So I guess I've made it clear that it was windy today. I'm sure those of you who no longer live here will be nostalgic after watching those videos. Speaking of nostalgic, do any of you native Kansans remember the promos from our childhood that inspired the title of this post? For those of you too young (or too old) to remember, the old promotional campaign for our state (much like today's "Kansas, As Big As You Think") was "Kansas, The Land of Ahhs" (a play on the Wizard of Oz, for those of you who are a little slow). So cheesy, but even cheesier was an entire song that someone wrote to go along with the slogan. The chorus went something like this: "AAAAAAHHHHHHH KANSAS!! Kansas!!" I can still hear it so clearly, it must have been a good campaign!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHHHH, AHHHHHHHHH, Crapness. Crapness.

kjl said...

Chad's right...it really was more like two "AHHs" in the song. I was thinking it was just one long "AHH" that changed notes, but when trying to represent the song on paper, "AHHH, AHHH" would have made more sense! :)