Sunday, March 25, 2007

Dashed Dreams

My NCAA Tournament dreams ended last night (along with those of every other KU fan in the country) with a very frustrating loss to UCLA. The pain is still so new it's difficult to talk about, but in a nutshell, we had entirely too many turnovers (21) and missed entirely too many lay-ups (19). The boys just didn't take care of the ball and couldn't get any shots to fall. It was especially upsetting because the Jayhawks didn't get beat by a better team--they beat themselves instead.

I'm not as upset as in past years, I think because this year I tried really hard not to get my hopes up. All year long we had flashes of incompetence in between our flashes of brilliance, and I just had a feeling that our sloppy play would rear its ugly head at the wrong time. I hate doubting Bill's boys, but then again I hate being crushed into depression when they lose if I'm expecting them to win it all.

There are two things that helped lift my post-loss depression a little bit today:

1. Watching the Tarheels come unglued so that we weren't the only #1 seed missing from the Final Four.


2. Being at the top of both my bracket pools. :)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hearing about UNC was therapeutic for me too! Congrats on being #1 in both pools! I'm right behind you in the smaller of the two, but I'm doubting I'll be able to catch you. We've picked the exact opposites though.

Last night when we got home, I told Jake I was done with the tournament. I informed him I would not be talking or thinking about our loss anymore. But then today I caved and put myself through the torture of reading EVERY game-related article in the LJW! The disappointment is still there, but I'm not as sad as I was last night, which is probably healthy.

kjl said...

I'm glad you're feeling a little bit better that you were Saturday night! Healing takes time. :) My brother told me yesterday that the tourney was "dead to him" as well. I only watched the end of the UNC/Georgetown overtime because I was so excited to see them lose!

Congrats on your #2 spot in the pool. Since the odds are that one of us won't still be at the top when this is all over, I'm glad I captured a picture of it so that we'll always have the memories! :)