Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Hoops With My Bro

Last Tuesday night I took a break from reading to take my brother to a KU basketball game while he was here in the Lawrence area. I initially thought that finding tickets to this game against Albany over Christmas break would be no big deal. Students would be gone, as would a bunch of Jayhawks who were traveling to Tempe for the Insight Bowl, so I figured there would be lots of people trying to get rid of tickets. I asked around a ton in the week leading up to the game with absolutely no luck, and I was getting nervous that I'd have to pay the full box office price, which was $55 each. I was starting to think I'd just have to pay a scalper outside Allen Fieldhouse, but then my friend LaRisa decided not to go to the game and offered me her tickets in exchange for dinner. I was so thankful because I didn't want Eric to miss his one and only opportunity to see the Jayhawks this year, but I also didn't want to fork out $110 for one game to a small-time opponent!

Once we got to the game I realized why tickets had been so hard to come by--it was packed! I didn't expect that at all during the holidays. I was glad the game was well-attended and the crowd was enthusiastic, since that made for a much better basketball experience for my brother! A few years ago when we went to a game over Christmas vacation it was pretty dead. I guess that's what winning a National Championship will give you: a packed fieldhouse and a crazy crowd no matter the occasion!

Eric and I had a great time at the game--but then again I always have a good time with my brother. I brought along the camera to commemorate the occasion, of course, and I just had to share my favorite picture from the evening. My brother is such a goof!


No comments: