Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Hazards of Donation

On Friday I made my first blood donation since donating two years ago, and although I'm an incredibly slow bleeder, I did manage to fill up my bag with about 4 minutes left to spare. It wasn't too terrible of an experience, except for the few times the nurses wiggled the needle around trying to get the blood flowing faster. That part always makes me woozy. I don't know why I can't have bigger veins or something!

While I survived the donation itself, I have to say that this year I didn't feel so hot afterward. By the end of the day I was drained and exhausted, and by evening I felt like I had the flu. I ended up going to bed at like 8:00 on a Friday night!

I felt okay the next morning, thankfully, but ever since my donation I've had the most bizarre rash all over the inside of my arm where the blood was drawn. It's so strange--I can't figure out what caused it. Check this out!


You probably can't see it so well in the picture, but it's red and bumpy and in kind of a square shape. You'd think I had an allergic reaction to an adhesive or something, but they didn't use any sort of tape on my arm at all. It was wrapped with that crinkly medical wrap that sticks to itself, so maybe the reaction was to that stuff? I just think it's weird since I didn't have this reaction last time!

Anyway, the rash is just a little itchy, so it's nothing that would stop me from donating again, but the flu-like symptoms that came that evening really stunk. I definitely won't be one of those people who gives blood every 8 weeks--I think once a year is my max!

No comments: