Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Ice Was Nice

All I really felt like blogging about yesterday was the same subject I'd blogged about the day before--the beautiful ice storm. I had the urge to bring my camera to work and just take pictures all around the grounds of our building, which is landscaped with tons of young trees and is right next to a heavily wooded area. It was just so beautiful I was dying to capture it all, but I decided against bringing my camera when I came back after lunch because a) my coworkers would probably think I was completely insane if I walked around the outside of our building taking pictures of trees, and b) I realized I actually did take pictures around there during another ice storm a few years ago, so I probably already have some pictures that look exactly the same!

Although I didn't break down and bring my camera in to work for this storm, I did break down and take one picture this year with my new cell phone, which thankfully has a much better camera than my last cell. As I was looking out my window this morning, the sun came out and sparkled off of the icy trees, and I just couldn't resist--it was just so beautiful! The trees sparkled like diamonds.



Even with the crappy cell phone camera you can see that sparkle if you zoom in! You can hopefully imagine how gorgeous it was in real life!

Apparently I wasn't the only one who was fascinated by the beauty of the ice encased trees. As I was leaving our parking lot, some woman had parked on the opposite side of the street and walked across to our lot, and was standing in the driveway to our office taking a picture of some trees. She was actually blocking my path so that I had to stop and wait for her to finish before I could leave. Although I was slightly annoyed, I gave her a kindly wave since I so appreciate the beauty she was trying to capture (although I must say that I'd like to think that I wouldn't stand in front of a moving vehicle in order to capture it!).

As I left Endowment and drove to my afternoon office at the Alumni Association, I began to understand why the woman couldn't resist stopping and blocking our driveway. The campus was amazingly beatiful. The sun was shining so brightly and the trees and buildings all glistened with moisture as the ice melted. I was comepletely in awe. I almost stopped to to take another cell phone picture as I passed the Campanile and Memorial Drive. So gorgeous! Although I'm glad for Chad's sake that the ice is melting today, I'm definitely going to miss its amazing beauty!

4 comments:

Erin said...

That is an amazing picture! It's a wonder all of those branches don't fall off.

Anonymous said...

It really was pretty yesterday on campus. Pretty and treacherous at the same time! Walking to my building yesterday afternoon was a bit of a challenge because the ice was melting and I was constantly pelted with giant drops falling from the trees!

Brenda said...

Sweet. It's my new desktop picture.

Beth said...

My friend Linden took amazing pictures of a HUGE ice storm in Springfield, MO, last year, and her pictures made a book of other great pictures of the ice storm!

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/xgravity23/ice%20storm/?action=view¤t=1170625847.pbw

You'll appreciate them, Kim!