Sunday, December 09, 2007

Creepy Christmas Gifts

The other day we were doing some Christmas shopping and had to stop by Wally World. If you're a regular reader you might know that I generally try not to make shopping at Wal-Mart a habit, but there was particular person on our Christmas list who wanted a particular CD which was only being released at this particular store. So there we were. We were wandering through the aisles, checking out the always fascinating bargains and bargain shoppers, when I was startled by what I considered a particularly creepy item:

I wasn't exactly sure what this head of Elvis actually did, so I started checking out the box a little more closely to see if I could identify its purpose. As I feared, it apparently comes alive, as indicated by the label in the top left corner:

WowWee is right. Apparently the head sings like 8 songs and says a few other Elvis-ish phrases or quotes from his movies or something. While it pretty much creeps me out, I thought maybe some huge Elvis fan or a kid would enjoy this as a sort of gag gift. Then I glanced up at the price:

Really, Wal-Mart. Two hundred and fifty dollars? Really? I can't even begin to fathom who would pay this much for a talking Elvis head. It scares me. Really.*

*If you're wondering why I can't stop saying "really" you might check out my favorite news segment on Saturday Night Live, Really!?! with Seth & Amy. It makes me laugh out loud every time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for camera phones! I had not seen this yet, and for that I am thankful. BTW, "Really?!" is one of our favorite parts of Weekend Update too. I didn't know we had this in common! I think our favorite is the one about Michael Vick.

kjl said...

I can't say that I'm surprised we both enjoy that sketch--great minds think alike! :) This was the blog topic I mentioned yesterday when we saw that picture of Elvis on the wall downtown!

Erin said...

Wow, I would seriously like to know if anyone pays that much. Altho' I'm sure there are some Elvis freaks out there that would pay anything for any Elvis stuff.

Beth said...

A lot had to line up juuuuuust right to get Elvis to the sweet Walmart spot...

a) someone was ballsy enough to say, "Hey, I've got this idea I want to make a reality

b)that same someone found someone to manufacture and produce this monstrosity

c) Wal-Mart, too, found this somehow appealing enough to sign onto, and

d)it has its own spot in the aisle

e)is 5 feet tall

f) the store expects customers to buy this.

g) the store expects to PROFIT somehow off of this....

*Wait, how expensive was this to Create to sell at $250???