Monday, April 30, 2007

Hound Dog

On Saturday, before picking up the nephews for a visit, I spent much of the day at the KC Pet Expo at the American Royal Center (the former Kemper Arena). Our shelter had a booth at the event, so some other volunteers and I took adoptable dogs over to meet the public. It was a huge event with tons of people and what seemed like hundreds of different vendors and organizations! There were rescue groups and shelters from all over the KC metro area, along with businesses selling all sorts of animal related products and services. There were groups demonstrating agility courses and frisbee catching, as well as displays with miniature horses, goats and llamas. It was pretty cool!

The best part about my day was the wonderful dog that I took along to the event! His name is Fresco, and he's a hound/boxer mix who has been at the shelter since late November. He came in as a 10-12 week old puppy, and then moved into the adoption area when he was 4-5 months old. He was one of those dogs who was so adorable when he was first available that I thought he would be snatched up immediately. For whatever reason, he hasn't had many potential adopters look at him, and I just can't figure out why! He is very unique looking and so amazingly cute, I don't know how anyone can resist that face!

Fresco was such a good boy all day and charmed just about every person he met at the event. People were immediately drawn to him, and when they would come over to visit he would sit at their feet and just soak up the attention. He would often put his paw up to shake hands or lean against their legs to snuggle. If they squatted down low enough, he would actually try and crawl into the laps of complete strangers. It was so adorable! I already liked Fresco a lot, but he was so endearing all day it just made me want to take him home. I'm almost hoping he doesn't get adopted so that we'll have an excuse to foster him! Don't tell Chad! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's the thing... I CAN READ.

-John Bender

I hope Fresco gets adopted from the shelter, but you know I will not let him perish there.

kjl said...

HEE HEE! That was just a joke. I just wanted to see if you were paying attention! :)

Anonymous said...

Yep, he's a keeper!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, and that meant both Chad and the dog.