Monday, December 18, 2006

Picture Perfect Packages

I started this strange tradition several years ago, and honestly, I can't even remember how many years it's been or how I got the idea in the first place. I only know that it's one of the few creative things I do all year long. Most people, including my husband, probably think it's time consuming and silly, but the result is just so darn festive I can't give up the practice!

Every Christmas, instead of purchasing normal wrapping paper and/or gift bags, I wrap all of our presents for friends and family in brown craft paper, then use decorative sponges to paint the packages. The colorful and coordinated gifts are topped off with assorted ribbons. I do the wrapping as the gifts are purchased, and then once I have a big batch of gifts wrapped I spend an evening painting. This was the first batch I did one evening last week.


This probably seems like such a ridiculous waste of time, but I just think they're so pretty! It's a weird tradition that I just can't resist doing every year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They look great! What a neat idea. I saw the brown paper packages (not tied with string--name that tune!) the other night and figured you were up to something. How do you remember what is in each box?

I am boring and used regular old wrapping paper, although I'm becoming a believer in good quality paper--thick and with gridlines on the back. This year though, no bows or tissue paper. They just don't travel well!