Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I'm So Excited...

...and I just can't hide it! Sorry for the cheesy 80s music reference, but I've just been so unfocused and unmotivated at work today because I'm so excited about this weekend! If you're just tuning in, I'm participating in my first Breast Cancer 3-Day, a 60 mile walk over the course of 3 days that raises an amazing amount of money for the Susan G. Komen Foundation. I am walking in honor of my mom Sherry (sporting her 3-Day survivor hat in the picture with my bro) and my friend JoAnna, who were both diagnosed with breast cancer last December, as well as for my Aunt Merry, who was diagnosed late last summer. In the last 6 months I've walked approximately 580 miles, diligently following the suggested training schedule, preparing for the 3 days that will finally arrive in 2 days! Yesterday morning I did my last training walk (just 5 miles) and yesterday evening I started packing. I've raised $4,750 as of today, thanks to the generosity of over 100 wonderful friends and family members. My dad and his wife are coming to visit tonight, and they'll be there along with Chad at the opening ceremonies on Friday morning. People who've participated in the past say it's the experience of a lifetime. I can't wait to share more after the event next week!

If you want more information about why I decided to embark on this journey, checkout my personal 3-Day website, where you can also find links to my newsletters and my personal fund raising page.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

580 miles? "Is that made up? That sounds made up!"

kjl said...

It's not made up, Rusty. The training schedule has the mileage by week so I just totalled it all up...and that was a conservative estimate because I didn't count the times I walked the dogs on an unofficial training walk! :)