Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Best Friend Birthday (Belated)

Yesterday was a super important day at the Luce household, as my adorable and amazing and wonderful BFF/husband turned 38 years old. I can't believe I've now known him for over 26 years. Can that be possible? We've somehow gotten really old, really quickly. The good news is, neither of us really act our age. :)

Because I had my dance class yesterday evening, there was no time for blogging, which was kind of a bummer because I was actually excited to show off my hubby and the treat I made for his birthday. Those of you who know my husband know that he's not a huge fan of sweets--especially not cake, so baking him a birthday cake wasn't really ideal. However, Chad does happen to like pie, and his absolute favorite is cherry, which I've never once made for him in almost 16 years of marriage. What kind of horrible wife am I that I've never bake my husband his favorite kind of pie??!!

So after work and before dance class, I stopped by the grocery store and picked up some cherries and pie crusts (the kind that are refrigerated that you just roll out and stick in the pan) and came home and started making my first cherry pie ever. I had to use frozen cherries since they didn't have an fresh ones at the store, but at least I didn't use the canned cherry pie filling! The biggest bummer was that I had to leave for class before it came out of the oven, so I didn't even get to see it in it's finished state or to stick candles in it or to see Chad enjoy his first piece. Tonight, when he was having a piece after dinner, I just had to snap a few shots.

Can you see the heart I punched in the crust? There was another on the other side that got eaten the night before.

I don't even like cherries that much, but that looks darn good. I used a mix of sweet and tart cherries. My fluting didn't work too well though, and I realized after the fact that I'd never actually made a two crust pie before. In fact, I think pumpkin might be the only kind I've ever made!


My adorable hubby is awfully cute while eating pie! :)

Although I felt bad that I didn't get to spend the evening with my dear husband on his birthday, I was glad I got to at least do something a little bit special for him on his special day. He definitely deserves that and so much more! He's so incredibly amazing and I honestly don't know what I would do without him! I love you, CW!!

4 comments:

cw said...

Thank you for the awesome pie, HI!!!

ILY!!!!!

James said...

I've always wondered what Chad had for his bday. Nice going, Kim! Happy bday, Chad! :)

Erin said...

I cannot believe we are turning 38 this year. Wow that sounds old. I don't feel that old! Your pie is pretty impressive Kim! Very pretty. Hope you had a good birthday Chad!

The Renaissance ManBaby said...

I know this is geeky, but what lens were you using when you shot these?