Monday, December 27, 2010

Picture Project

I mentioned earlier this month that I had an idea for a Christmas present for Chad's folks using the pictures I took of their farm back in September. With tons of help from my dear husband, I finally finished the project on Christmas Eve, just in time for us to take it to Salina on Christmas morning. Here's a shot of the finished project, which we hung on our wall briefly just to make sure the hanging apparatus functioned properly.



I'd originally planned on trying a fabric border around the edges, but after painting the wood base and mounting the pictures I thought it looked fine without one. I think it turned out okay for my first attempt at executing my idea, although next time I think I'll test out some slightly different materials. The pictures didn't have the textured look I was going for because the Mod Podge I originally tried didn't work with the texture of the chipboard that I wrapped the pictures around. Next time I'd like to try plywood instead of chipboard to see if that makes a difference. Speaking of wrapping the pictures, here are a few more pics so you can see the detail of my little pretend mini canvases.






I think it turned out kind of cool, and thankfully, I think my in-laws liked it too!

6 comments:

Tish said...

um yeah it turned out cool! lovely idea!

Erin said...

What an awesome idea Kim!! They look great!!

Anonymous said...

Very cool idea, Kim! I love it!

Jen said...

Very cool! So you wrapped the pictures yourself instead of buying it that way?

cw said...

Mom and Dad loved it! They hung it on their wall about a minute after opening it.

kelly said...

Holy cow...what a cool idea! I love this! What did you print the images on?